Last night was the end
of the first trimester of our class. I had expected this part of the class
to be about the basics of Catholicism – and it was, sort of, but to my surprise (and also delight and also great relief?) it was really
much more about challenging us to articulate our own beliefs
about the big questions of life. The homework for the last class was: “Write
your own profession of faith. What do I believe? What sustains my life? Why am
I Christian?” The class material gave as one example a poem/prayer from
the Jugendrotkreuz-Bewegung (Red Cross Youth Movement), which is beautiful, and
I’ve tried in vain to find it on the internet in English, so here it is with my
own translation, which you German speakers are free to correct…
|
Ich will
glauben
Ich soll
nicht glauben
an das
Recht des Stärksten
an die
Sprache der Waffen
an die
Macht der Mächtigen.
Aber ich
will glauben
an das
Recht des Menschen
an die
offene Hand
an die
Gewaltlosigkeit.
Ich soll
nicht glauben
an die
Macht des Reichtums
an
Vorrechte
an die
feststehende Ordnung.
Aber ich
will glauben,
dass es
nur ein Recht gibt für hier und dort,
dass ich
nicht frei bin,
solange
ein einziger Mensch versklavt ist.
Ich soll
nicht glauben
dass
Liebe ein Gaukelspiel ist
und
Freundschaft unzuverlässig
und alle
Worte Lügen sind.
Doch ich
will glauben an die Liebe,
die trägt
und nicht vergeht.
Ich soll
nicht glauben
dass alle
Mühe vergebens ist
dass der
Tod das Ende ist.
Aber ich
darf glauben
an den
neuen Menschen
an Gottes
ureigenen Traum
einen
neuen Himmel
und eine
neue Erde
wo
Gerechtigkeit wohnt.
|
I want to
believe
I will not believe
in the law of the
strongest
in the language of
weapons
in the authority of
the powerful.
But I want to believe
in human rights
in open arms
in nonviolence.
I will not believe
in the power of
riches
in privilege
in the established
order.
But I want to believe
in one justice for
everyone, everywhere.
That I am not free
as long as a single
person is enslaved.
I will not believe
that love is
deception
and friends
unreliable
and all words lies.
I want instead to
believe
in the Love that
bears all and never ends.
I will not believe
that all effort is
in vain
and that death is
the end.
But I can believe
in a new humanity,
in God’s very own
dream:
a new heaven
and a new earth
where justice lives.
|
I like the formulation
“I want to believe” because I find nailing down my own faith really, really
hard…the question “why am I Christian?” is in the end maybe easier to answer. I
think our human brains are big enough to wonder about the unknowable, to imagine
worlds that don’t exist, to realize that we can never achieve perfection. And there’s
no way to entirely close this gap between what is and what might be, but we’re
compelled to grapple with it – there’s religion and spirituality, but also art
and literature and psychology and philosophy and science. For me, the language
of this grappling is Catholic. It’s my spiritual mother tongue, if you will. In
church, as imperfect as it is, I find things that I need in my life and don’t
get elsewhere. Song. Surrender. Connection to other humans: present and past
and future, here and all over the world. Challenge to love and grow and reach
and fail and get up and try again.
But that gets to
something else that surprised me about this class, and that is how many times
the question “is religion dangerous?” came up, with the answer of a resounding
YES. This stuff is so personal, and as soon as I cross the line from “this
works for me” to “you should believe this” (which as much as I hate it when people do this to me, I find myself wanting to do to others with alarming regularity), I’m on shaky ground. We want company
on our journeys, we want to feel we aren’t alone, we want to share what helps
us, we are stronger together – but no race or creed or religion or church or
club membership can automatically make us better people. We each walk our own
path.
So with that, here’s
my attempt…let’s say my first attempt, because I feel like I’m probably going
to be working on this for a while yet:
I want to believe that
there is a God and that God is Love.
Perfect, whole,
supportive, healing, sustaining,
understanding, comforting, completing Love.
Love simultaneously small enough to care about the speck of existence that is me
and big enough to care for all space and time.
Love that doesn’t
exist, except in my imagination.
But if it exists in my
imagination, doesn’t it exist?
And shouldn’t I seek
it?
Because I see its unperfected
human form every day,
in gestures and kind words and sparkling eyes.
And I feel its gifts
when I manage to help someone else.
And I want to believe
that I have a part to play in the world.
And for all my doubts
I feel quite certain that when we die,
we are reunited with the Love who made
us.
If God is just a
story, fine. Stories are powerful.
You can buy this, or not,
that’s not my business.
There are many paths to wisdom, and you have your own.
There are many paths to wisdom, and you have your own.
I hope we can trade road
stories sometime.
What you seek can be summed up in the Prayer to St. Francis:
ReplyDeleteLord, make me an instrument of Your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy.
O, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love; For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; it is in dying that we are born again to eternal life.
It's my favorite.