| Spring has sprung in Zurich! |
We had one
final Wednesday class followed by a marathon noon-‘till-late session the next
Saturday. And with that, the second trimester of my class is over. Here is my
sigh of relief: whew. In the first trimester, we were very much set adrift on our
own – what do you believe about God,
evil, the afterlife, sin, …? This trimester, things got much more concrete: the
Roman Catholic Church holds x, y, and z to be true, are you with us or not?
It’s safe to say I’m much more comfortable with the first approach: when left
to my own devices, I gravitate naturally towards the Church; but when asked to
sign on to specifics, I get squeamish. (Other students in the class felt
exactly the opposite, which just goes to show that we’re not all wired the same
way.)
I felt a
tension in the readings between calls to “a mature faith” and statements bemoaning
“individualism” as responsible for the modern drop in church attendance. Doesn’t
maturity, as a concept, imply a certain amount of individualism? Even in a
culture where strict adherence to social norms is valued, the “mature” person
is one who has gone through some period of questioning and then agreed to
accept those norms…right? “I do this because it’s what I was taught as a child”
is good for church attendance, but it’s not particularly mature. And if church
attendance is dropping because people are trying to think for themselves, is
that entirely a bad thing?
There was
also a good deal of talking around the idea of a
small-c-catholic-meaning-universal church. In one handout church history was
pictured as a tree, with branches lower down for early church schisms and further up for more recent splits. The official Church doctrine for a long
time was that all the other churches had to eventually merge back into Roman
Catholicism (do trees grow like that?) – and while there’s some slightly
different spin on things these days, the readings didn’t stray far from that
idea. Which I find frustratingly academic and divisive. What if the whole big
tree is the “one holy catholic
church” we profess to believe in?
I learned
some things that I hadn’t known, like that “apostolic church” in the Apostle’s
Creed refers to the fact that apostolic succession – each new bishop is
consecrated by existing bishops, in a line that theoretically goes all the way
back to the original apostles – is an even more important idea than the more-often-discussed
principle of Papal succession (the Pope being the spiritual descendant of
Peter). But there were also a lot of middlingly-helpful constructs straight out
of high school theology class. The three functions of the church are martyria (sharing the gospel), diakonia (serving others), and leiturgia (ritual worship). Also koinonie (community), but that’s totally
not four ok? Each of the seven sacraments of the Church has a material element
(something concrete, such as the water at baptism), a specific prayer, and an
element of consent. Except, well, in baptism the parents and godparents consent
for the child, and the material element for marriage is…the ring you say?
wrong, it’s the love!...wait what? The “sevenness” of the sacraments is somehow
important, it would be unthinkable to have eight and we look down our holy noses at
the protestant churches that have only two or three or five. Insert eye-rolling emoji
here…again, I understand why these things are important in some contexts, but this isn’t the way
I like to think about church.
I got
particularly and possibly irrationally irritated about the church’s rules for
receiving the Eucharist during Mass. Officially, people who have not received
First Communion in the Catholic Church are not allowed to eat the bread or
drink the wine. Because…I still don’t know. We believe that the bread and wine
are Jesus’s body and blood, and if a non-believer consumed Jesus, the whole
house of cards would come crashing down? How? Why? Do we not believe that Jesus died
for everyone, not just those who grew up Catholic? The answer from our
instructor was that the Catholic Church is just like any other club, and it’s
allowed to make rules: just like you as a random person off the street can’t
just show up at the baseball game and expect to play, you as a random person
off the street can’t just show up at Mass and participate in our central
sacrament. Sure. But...isn’t that whole tree thing a sign that we believe we
the Catholic/catholic church is not
just any random club? And doesn’t that come with certain responsibilities, like
being fully present for everyone who shows up? The first time I went to an
Episcopal service and heard “all are welcome at this table” this hit me like a
ton of bricks. Of course everyone is
welcome. Or should be. In my opinion.
I guess
what I’m coming around to is a kind of Catholic humanism. When I say I believe
in one God, I mean I believe my God is the same as your God, no matter how many
personal, traditional, or cultural differences stand between our two conceptions
of this inconceivable entity. When I say I believe in a catholic church, I mean
I think church exists any time people come together to encounter God (“where two
or three are gathered in my name...” Matthew 18:20), regardless of
whether they meet in the name of Catholicism or as a "gospel choir" or in an
evangelical megachurch – none of which are perfect, and some of which may be more
godly than others, but I’m luckily not in a position where I’m called to judge.
When I say I’m Catholic, I mean that I mostly seek God through the traditions
of the Catholic Church. But the thing I’m personally seeking isn’t full
agreement with the Church, it is wisdom and communion with God – that same
inconceivable entity that no person and no church has a corner on.
This term
started with the question “is the Church in crisis?” and its unsaid twin “and
if so, what do we do about it?” I don’t think the Church is in crisis. I think
it has a long history behind it and a long future in front of it. But change is
inevitable, even in an institution dedicated to preserving traditions and
values. If I were running the place (thank goodness I’m not), I would
tell everyone to stop wringing their hands about falling church attendance, and
judging parents who don’t bring their kids up Catholic, and fall back this
phrase, which sounds way better in German: “wer kommt, ist richtig.” Whoever
comes is the right people.
I think we need to worry less about trying to teach a
simplified version of our faith to children, and worry more about helping
adults experience the depth and diversity of the church’s traditions – because it
is most likely with their parents, not in Sunday school, that children will find
the seeds of their own faith. And we could spend far more time helping people come
to a mature understanding of their own spirituality. This includes making space
for people to ask questions, and, yes, disagree with the official line. Are we
brave enough as a Church to welcome people as they are, to
stand with them even in doubt and disagreement? To invite people to contribute
to church, not just participate in set rituals?
I’ve spent a lot of this term wondering if we’ve just
completely lost our way – has the celebration of the Eucharist has become too far removed from the holy act of sitting together at a table and eating?
Has the sacrament of reconciliation become too far removed from sitting together
and sharing (per the class readings: “In the early church, people confessed their sins openly in the church,
which again points to the sincere faith of early Christians and could hardly be
imagined today.” Except…isn’t that what you do in AA?)? A totally
non-church-related thing I’ve always been interested in is indoor public space:
where can people go to sit, work, eat, and talk without pressure to consume?
Why let church buildings sit empty when they themselves could be a service?
Lots to think about, and as it’s Holy Week, lots of church this
week to think about it in. This post has been lurking around for a while now,
and I want to work on it more, but I need to hit post because in the next two
weeks I have to write a 5-7 page single-spaced paper for this class, in German
(eek!). So bye for now, I’ll be back in May. In the meantime here’s my favorite
Easter hymn, sung by some astonishingly stereotypical British students:
Love is come again, like wheat that
springs up green.
Happy Easter everyone!
I haven't found in your musings yet the church as the Body of Christ. That understanding of church is all throughout the New Testament and seems to me to be central to Christianity. The church as a social institution is a part of that, I suppose, but seems almost peripheral in some way to the central understanding of the Mystical Body of Christ, with Christ as its head, and we the members. Again, I would think that the best way to understand the Church is to get to first know the Head personally, intimately. And that can be done only by prayer. We remember how Jesus got up early in the morning to go out to a lonely place to pray. Prayer is mentioned over and over again throughout the Gospels and Epistles; sorta implies it is important. I think it a good starting place to understand the nature of God and church. For me, it has made all the rest fall into place on its own.
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter!
I have to respectfully disagree - I think the social aspect of church is not at all peripheral, but central. Prayer is absolutely also central, but Jesus challenged the prayerful men of his time to put their faith into concrete practice. Feed the hungry. Clothe the naked. Love one another as I have loved you. I do believe that the church is the Body of Christ, in precisely the sense that "Christ has no body now on earth but yours..." Jesus loved and served all. As his followers, we must seek to do the same for each other and for the world. That for me is the essence of church.
ReplyDelete