Thursday, August 10, 2017

Episode 3.1.5: Update

heart-shaped berries
I got these for Mother's Day, which was about as long ago as the last time I posted on this blog...
Update: Ok, it’s been a while. When I started this blog, I thought it would be pretty amazing if it lasted a year, because honestly, most projects of mine don’t. There is a large and growing pile of unread books on my windowsill that attest to my short attention span. But this time I didn’t lose interest so much as get oversubscribed. I started my little job at church and I decided to take a class in spiritual writing from Creative Nonfiction (unpaid advertisement: Creative Nonfiction classes are cool) and, well, life. On top of which the instructor this term had a somewhat stunningly boring, if effective, teaching method: we’d spend the first part of each class taking a test on the material from the class readings, and the rest of the class going over the answers together. Definitely good for reviewing the material, not always so great for processing it, maybe? Anyway. The class has now been over for a good um...several...months, but I haven't given up hope on this blog project.

Update 2: because guess what? It turns out that there’s a whole rotating 4-year series of 16 classes in theology given by the same institute I took this class from. I had a whole long and drawn-out internal debate about whether and how I should sign up for these - one class or two? distance or evening? for credit or not? is my German really up to this? of course it isn't! no, don't sell yourself short, you'll be fine! ok then, should I definitely take the classes for credit, so they could potentially count towards some kind of degree in the future? yes! no! (Repeat until headache ensues.)

My (new and still under development) calmer and intuitive self prevailed and said: sign up for both classes not because this might have some future application but because you are interested in this stuff. See how it goes, don't worry about credit, but do try to keep writing about it. Sooo...more theology classes next year! This coming semester I’ll be taking an evening course in dogmatic theology (every Monday night) and a distance course in liturgy (one weekend this winter and one week next summer). How will this go? I have no idea! Onwards!

So without further ado, catching up. I’m really a short-format type of girl anyway (see short attention span, above) so my grand plan is to write a short essay inspired by each of the remaining class sessions, or whatever parts of them have stuck in my swamp of a brain. Since it’s been a few months, probably good to repeat the standard disclaimer: I have no idea what I’m talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment