Feeling out of place
is what I do, and what I’ve always done. Probably some combination of social
anxiety and a too-critical personality and being raised as a military brat. In
job interviews I like to sell myself as someone who can bridge the gap between
cultures – engineering and medicine, research and sales, analysis and writing,
work and motherhood. But as I’ve gotten older I’ve realized that this is
putting a positive spin on something that has a lot of fear behind it. I guess
it’s easier for me to identify as an outsider, because what if I decide I want
to belong to a particular group and then, indeed, don’t fit? Recently I have a
strong sense that I need to stop sitting on the fence about so many parts of my identity. Taking this class was an attempt to answer the religious arm of this many-tentacled
question. Do I believe this stuff? Do I have any business calling myself Christian?
On Saturday, there was
a session of Christmas carol singing at the Protestant church in my neighborhood. I’m not sure
anyone outside of my husband and kids knows about my deep love of Christmas
carols, but it may mean something that one of my children is named after them. So
off I went. And, as is usual at church events here, it was me and a
small-to-respectable number of heads of grey hair. The sing-along was nice: I
don’t know very many traditional German(/Swiss) Christmas songs, but from the
sampling I got they are beautiful and tons more engaging than the plodding,
organ-led songs we often struggle through at Mass.
Afterwards there was
an “apéro,” which is an any-excuse, any-time-of-day Swiss event – seriously, forget
coffee and donuts after church, here it’s wine and pretzel sticks all the way.
I am painfully bad at this kind of small-talky thing in English, and here it’s
even more mortifying because (1) it’s sort a national game to properly address
everyone by name and appropriate title, every single time you see them, even on
the street, even if you’ve only been introduced once…and I have NO memory for
names…and (2) Swiss people are as a rule quite reserved around people they
don’t know well, which in nearly every conversation makes two of us…sooo
awkward…and (3) of course there’s the language thing – I imagine that I can understand
Swiss German, right up until someone addresses me directly and I stand there gaping
like an idiot for the 20 seconds it takes me to process what they might have
said. So obviously, I gathered my coat and got ready to make a beeline out the
door. But then – drama! – the only exit was blocked by a dozen grey-haired wine
drinkers!
I stood there, feeling
trapped and really awkward. And then something weird happened – I realized that
I knew a handful of people there, for various reasons. The priest from my
church, who is a lovely, lovely man but I don’t know if I’m supposed to address
him by his first name or as “Herr Pfarrer” and after that whether he’s ‘Sie’ or
‘du’ and the indecision sends me into such fits that I’ve never been brave
enough to say anything to him at all. Someone from my choir. A couple more I met
at the “gospel project” I’m singing in on Sunday because my normal choir is
taking a break this semester because the choir director’s husband earned a
sabbatical from the bank where he works and they went to Australia for seven
weeks. And the minister from the Protestant church, whom I met at an Advent
meditation class I decided to attend because it was taught by a woman in a lay
Jesuit community which is part of a global organization of whom a man I met at an
“Art of Hosting” training session in October is world secretary. Got that? Yeah,
don’t worry…my point is that half an hour later, I was one of the last people leaving,
cheerfully saying goodbye to multiple people, by name…and I don’t think it was
just the glass of wine? I had this really trippy feeling, of, like, whoa man,
it’s all coming together…it felt, bizarrely, like I might even belong. Me?
Here??
Class on Wednesday was
about the afterlife – heaven and hell and judgement. We talked about the fact
that actual Church doctrine on the matter is not the holy accounting system
that many think it is – life as a game of good works and sin and penance in which
if you die with a positive balance you’ll be rewarded forever in heaven – but rather
a convoluted philosophical question that considers, among other things, hell as
an option for eternal separation from God-the-Creator that is allowed us
through free will. It reminded me of something that stuck from religion class in high school: “to
assert the existence of hell is not
to assert the reality of it for anyone.”
Like, the lights are on down there, but we’re not saying that means anyone is
home... When I first encountered this it struck me as both intellectually comforting
and morally dubious, and indeed it stands in stark contrast to Jesus’s words in
the bible,
“Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me…Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment.’” (Matthew 25:41-46)
Which is rather…unambiguous,
no? And it makes me squirm. Not because I am afraid of eternal
punishment, but because I think Jesus was using such strong language to make an
urgent point about what we should be up to. Feeding the hungry, welcoming strangers,
visiting the sick… Is any of that what I’ve been doing lately?? Not so much. But
it’s what I need to be getting up to if I want to call myself a Christian.
Which, I think, I actually do.
Here's a thought--prayer?-- (not mine, but from someone I strongly resonate with) about hell:
ReplyDelete"Of the mysteries which we have to believe, Lord, there is none, without a doubt, which so affronts our human views as that of damnation. And the more human we become, that is to say conscious of the treasures hidden in the least of beings and of the value represented by the smallest atom in the final unity, the more lost we feel at the thought of hell. We could perhaps understand falling back into in-existence... but what are we to make of eternal uselessness and eternal suffering?
You have told me, God, to believe in hell. But you have forbidden me to hold with absolute certainty that any single man has been damned. I shall therefore make no attempt to consider the damned here, nor even to discover-- by whatsoever means-- whether there are any."
--Teilhard de Chardin
Thank you Alwin, I like that :)
Delete