Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Scrabble

No, seriously. Check out this set of histograms of word lengths in various languages. The average word length in German is 11.66 characters, in English 8.23. Words eight letters or under make 43.2% of the English dictionary but only 8% of the German one. The struggle is real. Here's a game in which Caroline sped to an early lead with "RACHEN" (throat or mouth, as in Rachenmandel = throat + almond = adenoid) but we've been scraping the bottom of the two-letter-word barrel for a bunch of turns now. I need vowels!

Our current Wordfeud game. Help?
And now a moment of catching up. I passed my latest theology exam on Saturday. Which would normally be yay! but...have I told you about this class? Let's just say that the instructor and I have some relatively fundamental differences of opinion. Or at least, differences of perspective. The exam and his evaluation of my performance were frustrating - after mulling it over a bit I've realized that this has a lot to do with an old insecurity / trigger I have around what my undergraduate advisor called my "flippant" delivery. I'm just crappy at sounding precise and erudite, which leads academically-inclined people to think that I'm dumb and/or disrespectful. But I'm not dumb, and I don't mean to be disrespectful, I just...think things are more interesting my way? I should stick to writing, I guess. Anyway, it's over and I passed. Now I have to get caught up on the reading for the two classes I'm taking over the summer. I calculated today that I need to read 25 pages (this doesn't sound like much I know, but it's slow going for me in German, so that's a solid hour) and 7 chapters of the Bible every day until my classes start. Total today: zero. Hmm...could it be that less Scrabble is in order?

No comments:

Post a Comment