Saturday, September 19, 2020

metaphor of the week

They're tearing down the block of apartment buildings just north of my church. The first time I walked by this week, steam shovels with pinchers were biting into the walls; the second time, two entire buildings had disappeared. But lo! In the courtyard that used to be in the middle of the buildings stands a majestic willow tree! I had no idea it was there! Now it's the most obvious thing on the block.

Which got me thinking, to what extent does the Church hide treasures of wisdom behind outdated walls of language and custom...walls that keep a certain group of people comfortable, but everyone else out? 

Not coincidentally, it's 10Q week. Here's a practice straight out of Jewish tradition, but made accessible to everyone. Religion in the service of our common humanity. I want to do more of that.

While I'm stretching tree metaphors: in my meditation week in June I had quite a bit of trouble with the misogyny in the Old Testament. The spiritual director tried to dismiss my concerns in all the usual ways*, which I mostly found deeply unconvincing, except this one: the Bible, whatever imperfections it does or doesn't have, is the root of our faith tradition. Okay, right: whether I like it or not, the Christian faith has drawn inspiration from the Bible for going on two thousand years. But here's the thing: drawing inspiration from something does not have to mean taking it literally or using it exclusively. A tree that looks like its root system is dead. 

I'm not even going to try to talk about the forest fires.

Here's to nourishing healthy trees, both physical and metaphorical.
...and here it is. she is? ki is?

* e.g. that was just the culture back then; Jesus came and made everything better; no sane person would actually use the Bible to oppress women (lol sure...)

No comments:

Post a Comment