Thursday, October 3, 2019

forests and trees

At therapy today I stared into the abyss. I have no plan, no ideas about where I'm headed. I don't fit where I am and the chances that I can find a way to fit seem very slim, but I have no idea where else to go. I know I have talents and contributions to make, but what? how? where? Writing seems somehow important but even here I have no idea what I'm doing. If a blogger blogs in the forest and nobody reads her posts, is she writing?

I know it's not just me. Lots of people (particularly women!!) have winding career paths, and have to find their way in a world that still largely assumes the linear model of school - job - retirement - death. Lots of people have intentionally or unintentionally found their way into motherhood or other care work and receive no pay, no vacation, no real training or support for what they do. Lots of people are holding their breath because the whole system feels like it's going to collapse at any moment, and then what?

I keep telling myself to stop worrying about the big picture and focus on the next step. Which right now is to make some cookie dough (yay!) and then go to work to see if I can figure out how to tell the biblical story of creation during our kids' service tomorrow without betraying my technical education.

Apropos of which, does anyone understand what is supposed to be going on on the second day?
And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day. (Genesis 1:6-8)
I'm sure someone has figured this out. I haven't. And I don't think I'm alone in this, since the lovely laminated cards I checked out of the library to illustrate this story skip this step entirely. And God himself may have had some misgivings about it, since this is the only day that ..."and God saw that it was good" does not appear. If I just skip this part and say that the separation of water and dry land happens on the second day...will anyone notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment