Thursday, November 6, 2025

the in-breath

Q: you've lived abroad for so long! You must have seen all of Europe by now!

A: um well...I've done a pretty good job of Switzerland...?

A heat map of places I've taken pictures in the last some-number-of-years. Let us not think too hard about all that Google knows about me.

I don't know a quick way to limit the photos on the map to the last six months, but now that I'm having a few weeks of "normal" I'm feeling all the traveling I've done, some of it even (gasp) out of the country! Chemnitz, Budapest, Lausanne, Nesslau, Biel, St. Ursanne, Munich, Bremen, Groningen, Borkum, Milan. Lots of trains, no airplanes. Seems like a great starting list for some blog posts, no? So you can look forward to those.

But first! A word on my adopted homeland from none other than C. G. Jung:

...Since ancient times, the astrological zodiac associated with Switzerland has been either that of Virgo or that of Taurus: both are so-called earth signs, an unmistakable indication that even the ancient astrologers were aware of the chthonic ["of the underworld" - I had to look that up] character of the Swiss. From the Swiss people's earthbound nature stem, so to speak, all their good and bad qualities: their down-to-earth nature, their narrow-mindedness, their lack of intellectualism, their thrift, their solidity, their stubbornness, their rejection of foreigners, their mistrust, their irritating Swiss German dialect, and their lack of concern (or neutrality, to put it in political terms). Switzerland consists of many valleys, depressions in the earth's crust, in which human settlements are nestled. Nowhere are there vast plains where it doesn't matter where you live, where there are no sunny or shady spots; nowhere do wide coastlines stretch out, against which the world's oceans crash with their tales of distant lands. In the backbone of the continent, burrowed into the earth, lives the troglodytic ["cave dwelling; reclusive"] Alpine dweller, surrounded by more powerful peoples who own the wider world, who expand into colonies, or who can enrich themselves through the treasures of their soil. His soul clings to what he has, for everything else belongs to others, to the powerful. Under no circumstances will he relinquish what is his. His people are small and his possessions limited. If he were to lose them, with what would he replace them?
...
     There are two kinds of interference against which the Swiss bristle: political and intellectual. That they resist political interference to the utmost—this utmost resistance being the necessity-born art of neutrality—is readily understandable. That they resist intellectual interference is more of a secret, but undoubtedly true. I can certainly confirm this from my practical experience: English, Americans, and Germans are far more receptive to new ideas than the Swiss. An idea generally poses no risk to the former, but it does to the Swiss. For them, a new idea is like an unknown, dangerous animal, which one either avoids at all costs or at least approaches with the greatest caution. (This is also connected to the remarkably low level of intuitive ability among the Swiss.)
     I find this perfectly acceptable. I believe in the dangerous nature of the spirit and do not believe in its absolute supremacy. I believe only in the Word made flesh, in the spirit-filled body in which Yang and Yin have united to form a living entity.
     The spiritual realm, in and of itself, carries the danger of uprooting humanity, tearing it from its earth, and inspiring it to Icarian flights, only to ultimately let it drown in the abyss. The chthonic person rightly fears this and therefore resists it instinctively and "resentfully" in the most unpleasant way. Conversely, the spiritual person feels fear and aversion to the prison of the earth. This is essentially the same prejudice that the intuitive person has against the sensing type. They mistake the latter for their own inferior sensing function. Naturally, the sensing type suffers from the same prejudice against the intuitive. When the two clash, both are offended, feeling misunderstood in their most essential values. 

 - C. G. Jung, The Meaning of the Swiss Line in the Spectrum of Europe. In: Neue Schweizer Rundschau XXXIV:6, published 1928 (ETH-Bibliothek Zürich, Hs 1055:628) (translation mine, which is to say Google's with some small changes; original German below)

The original manuscript containing this gem is currently on display at the Swiss National Museum in Zurich, in an exhibition called "Landscapes of the Soul" which I would not particularly recommend except that I spent a good ten minutes transfixed by this one item. I FEEL SO VALIDATED.

Meanwhile, and on a very related note, I am reading the book "Unlikely Companions - C. G. Jung on the Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius of Loyola" by Kenneth L. Becker, a person I have actually met (!!), though I was not aware that I knew the author until I brought the book home from the library and cracked it open. I will have lots to say about that, I hope, but it's heavy stuff, so I'll try to get back into the writing habit with some trip reports first. Cross your fingers for me!


That whole thing again, auf Deutsch, for the record:
... Seit alten Zeiten ist das der Schweiz zugehörige astrologische Zodion entweder das der Jungfrau oder das des Stiers: beides sind sogenannte Erdzeichen, ein untrüglicher Hinweis darauf, dass schon der alten Astrologen der chthonische Charakter der Schweizer nicht entgangen war. Aus der Erdgebundenheit des Schweizers gehen sozusagen alle seine guten und schlechten Eigenschaften hervor, die Bodenständigkeit, die Beschränktheit, die Ungeistigkeit, der Sparsinn, die Gediegenheit, der Eigensinn, die Ablehnung des Fremden, das Misstrauen, das ärgerliche Schwizerdütsch und die Unbekümmertheit oder Neutralität – politisch ausgedrückt. Die Schweiz besteht aus vielen Tälern, Vertiefungen der Erdrinde, in denen die Ansiedlung der Menschen eingebettet sind. Nirgends sind unermessliche Ebenen, in denen es gleichgültig ist, wo man wohnt, wo es keine Sonnen- und Schattenlagen gibt, nirgends dehnen sich weite Küsten, an die das Weltmeer mit seiner Kunde ferner Länder brandet. Im Rückgrat des Kontinentes, in die Erde eingebohrt, lebt troglodytisch der Alpenbewohner, umgeben von mächtigern Völkern, denen die weite Welt gehört, die sich in Kolonien ausdehnen, oder durch die Schätze ihres Bodens sich bereichern können. Seine Seele klammert sich an das, was er hat, den alles Andere haben die Andern, die Mächtigern. Unter keinen Umständen will er sich das Seine nehmen lassen. Sein Volk ist klein und sein Besitz beschränkt. Hat er ihn verloren, woraus soll er ihn ersetzen?
...
     Es gibt zwei Arten der Einmischung, gegen die der Schweizer seines Borsten aufrichtet: die politische und die geistige. Dass er sich gegen politische Einmischung aufs Äusserste wehrt – dieses Äusserste ist die notgeborene Kunst der Neutralität – ist ohne Weiteres begreiflich. Dass er sich gegen die geistige Einmischung wehrt, ist geheimnisvoller, aber unzweifelhaft wahr. Ich kann dies aus meiner praktischen Erfahrung durchaus bestätigen: Engländer, Amerikaner und Deutsche sind als Patienten neuen Ideen um ein Vielfaches zugänglicher als die Schweizer. Eine Idee bedeutet für jene in der Regel kein Risiko, wohl aber für die Schweizer. Für ihn ist eine neue Idee etwas wie ein unbekanntes, gefährliches Tier, dem man entweder tunlichst aus dem Wege geht, oder sich wenigstens mit äusserster Vorsicht nähert. (Damit hängt auch die bemerkenswert geringe Entwicklung der intuitiven Fähigkeit bei Schweizern zusammen.)
     Ich finde dies soweit ganz in der Ordnung. Ich glaube an die Gefährlichkeit des Geistes und glaube nicht an seine absolute Suprematie. Ich glaube nur an das fleischgewordene Wort, an den geisterfüllten Körper, in welchem sich Yang und Yin zu lebendiger Gestalt vermählt haben.
     Am Geistigen an und für sich haftet die Gefahr, dass es den Menschen entwurzelt, seiner Erde entreisst und zu ikarischen Flügen begeistert, um ihn schliesslich im Bodenlosen ertrinken zu lassen. Das fürchtet der chthonische Mensch mit Recht, und wehrt sich deshalb dagegen, instinktiv und «ressentimenthaft» in unangenehmster Weise. Umgekehrt empfindet der Mensch des Geistes Furcht und Widerwillen vor dem Gefängnis der Erde. Er ist im Grunde genommen dasselbe Vorurteil, das der Intuitive gegenüber dem Empfindungstypus hat. Er verwechselt letztern mit seiner eigenen minderwertigen Empfindungsfunktion. Natürlich leidet der Empfindungstypus am gleichen Vorurteil gegenüber dem Intuitiven. Wenn die Beiden zusammenstossen, so sind beide gekränkt, da sie sich in ihren wesentlichsten Werten missverstanden fühlen. 

 - C. G. Jung, Die Bedeutung der schweizerischen Linie im Spektrum Europas. In: N Schw Rsch XXXIV:6 (ETH-Bibliothek Zürich, Hs 1055:628). Der ganze Aufsatz ist hier zu finden.

1 comment:

  1. * One of the questionable benefits from playing Dungeons & Dragons is knowing words like chthonic and troglodytic.
    * Ah, yes, the urge to speak Swiss-German that is common to all chthonic people.
    * Speaking of dialects, this kind of blew my mind when I heard it recently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_language_is_a_dialect_with_an_army_and_navy

    ReplyDelete