Today was a church field trip. It was interesting, as always, but it's going to take a bit of processing before I can write anything about it. (I hope I can write something about it? We'll see.)
After the church field trip I zipped to class, where we learned...that the "parable of the minas" (Luke 19:11-27) is not at all, as it is usually presented, a parable about the counterintuitive ways of God, but rather Jesus's social commentary and prediction of his own death. The nobleman represents the prevailing economic system; the servants who invest their master's money and return it with interest are rewarded for playing along. But the servant who does nothing with the money and calls the nobleman a harsh man is Jesus, passive resister and counter-cultural truth teller. "I tell you, to all those who have, more will be given; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away." (Luke 19:26) is not an admonition to make something of the gifts we are given, but rather a critical description of a capitalist society.
This doesn't feel quite right to me, but then again, who am I to say it's wrong?
And also, I'm spending my evenings learning liberation theology? In German? Is this really a thing that is happening?
No comments:
Post a Comment