I showed up at the Easter vigil service last night feeling at once somewhat sheepish (I just hit publish on a post that says I don't believe any of this and...here I am...), and strangely relieved (it was good to get that off my chest?). As the service progressed I felt less sheepish and more relieved and more just...able to let myself participate in the whole thing. Because at the bottom of all this isn't a bunch of dogmatic statements and whether you subscribe to them or not. At the bottom of this is connection, and home, and music, and love, the longing of our hearts for that eternal, inconceivable thing that some of us call God.
In case you missed it, here is MY VERY OWN BROTHER, singing the Exsultet at St. Mark's Cathedral in Seattle. CHECK THIS OUT. I AM YELLING BECAUSE IT IS THAT AWESOME.
https://youtu.be/YqqztV-YIv0?t=665
(p.s. also, here's my very favorite Easter song! https://youtu.be/YqqztV-YIv0?t=8050)
And with that, I guess I'm done with this blogging project. 40 days. I did it. Yay for me? Here's to new beginnings...
Happy Easter!
Jesus is Risen!
Slaughter the lamb.
Cake. Slaughter the lamb cake.
Into which is baked
the sins of the reluctant housewife.
Jesus is Risen!
Prepare a feast.
Comfort the child who doesn't like deviations from routine,
or losing at egg-smashing.
Jesus is Risen!
Sing praise to the Lord.
Or listen politely to the choir,
because it's their big day.
Jesus is Risen!
Go home. Plan dinner. Do the dishes.
Collapse on the couch.
Survey the mess.
Feel the futility of it all.
Rise again.
No comments:
Post a Comment