Wednesday, April 3, 2019

wanted: travel agent

One thing I instantly loved about living in Europe, starting all the way back when I first came as a graduate student, was the more sane attitude towards work and time off. Europeans don't go on vacation for a few days, they go on vacation for a few weeks. They don't have five or ten days of vacation a year, they have twenty or more. No one's goal is to work as many hours as humanly possible. No one comes to work on the weekend. People do not eat lunch at their desks. It's all so. much. more. civilized.

But. Want to know a thing I detest? Vacation planning. Being on vacation is okay - though I'm much happier living in new places than being a tourist - but all the stuff that comes before it sends me into fits. I spend hours on the internet. I start with many grand ideas and end up talking myself out of all of them. I cannot make decisions. I end up spending a lot of money and not venturing far afield. And every time you turn around here there's another school break! Two weeks in the fall, two weeks for Christmas and New Year's, two weeks in the winter, two weeks in the spring, five weeks in the summer...

The point of all this is that my project for tonight was to account for four days of spring break, and after spending all evening looking at options, I have gotten nowhere. Please, travel-positive people, give me some tips!!

No comments:

Post a Comment