to continue my little rant from yesterday...I really don't have any problem with the idea that there are male and female energies, and that they're different, and that broadly speaking men have more male energy than women and women have more female energy than men. That's cool! I think it's even true! BUT please oh please can we not
(1) fall into the stupid fallacy of "men are on average taller than women, therefore we know that George is taller than Betty" (which is where I place "no woman could possibly be a priest")?
or (2) get the idea that male energy is power-over and female energy is power-less. That's not it! If male energy is power-over, female energy is power-with. And dear Pope Francis, if you're looking to build a church that will be a force for love and stand the test of time, you would do well to make sure that BOTH of those energies have a place at the decision-making table. If all you've got is power-over...well...in the Judeo-Christian tradition God isn't exactly impartial about that, right? "He has brought down the mighty from their thrones..."
I feel like my current mission / dream is just another page out of this same book: if male energy is in preaching, female energy is in listening. If male energy is in individual action, female energy is in the collective. So where in the Church - or outside of the Church, for that matter - are there sacred spaces for collective listening? Can we build some?
No comments:
Post a Comment