Sorry I've been spotty about posting. I want to write every day - I like writing every day - but I've gotta face up to the fact that the resulting sleep deprivation does not help me manage the things in my life that I do not particularly like doing, but nevertheless have to get done. It would maybe help if this blog had some sort of point or goal, other than to be a kind of online repository for my deep and not-so-deep thoughts? Suggestions welcome...
So, 2020. Coming up on nine years since we moved to Zürich - in fact we came the last week of January 2011 to look for apartments, Dan started at Google on February 1st, and the kids and I moved here in April. NINE years. We spent a month in temporary housing, so May it will be nine years in the VERY SAME APARTMENT. For comparison, here is the rest my life, as best I can reconstruct it right now:
Monterey, CA 1974 (6 months)
Oak Harbor, WA 1974-1975 (6 months)
Yokosuka, Japan 1975-1978 (3 years, 2 houses)
Newport, RI 1978-1979 (1 year, 2 houses)
Oak Harbor, WA 1979-1982 (4 years, 2 houses, 3 schools)
Yokosuka, Japan 1982-1984 (2 years, 2 houses)
Newport, RI 1984-1989 (4 years, 3 schools)
Monterey, CA 1989-1991 (2 years)
Claremont, CA 1991-1995 (4 years, college)
Woodinville / Bothell / Seattle, WA 1995-1998 (3 years, 3 apartments, 2 jobs)
Sutton / Epsom / Wimbledon, London, UK 1998 - 2001 (3.5 years, 3 apartments)
Davis, CA 2001-2004 (3 years)
South Seattle / Seattle, WA 2005-2011 (6 years, 2 houses, 2 jobs)
Longest I've otherwise ever lived in any one house: Seattle, 5 years
Longest I've otherwise ever lived anywhere (continuous): Seattle, 6 years
Longest I've otherwise ever lived anywhere (non-continuous): greater Seattle area, 9 years
So I usually say I'm from Seattle, but (1) it's not where I grew up and (2) soon it won't even be the place I've lived the longest. When and if we get to the 10-year mark here, I think my head might explode.
Because god knows I'll never be "from" Zurich, right?
And that's not even touching the dreaded question "what do you do for work?"
It is what it is, but it feels...kind of insane and pathetic.
No comments:
Post a Comment