Monday, January 27, 2020

hysteria

Daniel left this morning on a short trip to California. I thought that accompanying him to the airport might be fun (to waste part of the day and also because I have a thing for airports), but kid #1 refused to come along, and kid #2 was already in tears by the time we got to the bus-train transfer point. It was clear that another hour of separation drama was going to be fun for no one, so we cut our losses and took the bus right back home. Then we watched some bad TV together (the Nailed It! German edition is kinda hilarious, in case you were wondering) and frittered away the afternoon.

I was determined to go to the English-language church service in Winterthur tonight, which required bribing the kids with the prospect of avocado rolls from the takeaway sushi place at the train station. But I was convinced that the certain outcome of this mission would be that the aforementioned kid #2, due to a combination of nerves from Daddy being gone and his sister's stomach bug from last week, would at some point vomit avocado rolls all over the train and it would be a mess and I would feel like a horrible mother for dragging my children out late on a school night just for the privilege of singing "Abide with Me" in good company. But guess what? That didn't happen. Instead we had a relatively pleasant evening and the kids got to bed more or less on time. And I got one of those yummy mochi-wrapped coconut ice creams out of the deal. So there, anxiety brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment