Monday, May 18, 2026

yummy

Novena-of-gratitude day 4: Banana bread? Can I say banana bread? Today I did laundry and ordered groceries and made dinner and yodeled. And I'm thankful for all of that, and also for the minor miracle that I did not get caught in the rain on the way to or from yodeling. But it was the banana bread that made the day feel special. And made the house smell good.

Man invented cooking before he thought of nutrition. To be sure, food keeps us alive, but that is only its smallest and most temporary work. Its eternal purpose is to furnish our sensibilities against the day when we shall sit down at the heavenly banquet and see how gracious the Lord is. Nourishment is necessary only for a while; what we shall need forever is taste.
- Robart Farrar Capon

I did not take a picture of the banana bread.
But here, in a similar vein, is my Mother's Day pancake.


No comments:

Post a Comment