Friday, May 15, 2026

the space between

Ok, my writing attempts are all ending in the junk heap so I'm going to power through to the end of the spiritual exercises with a Pentecost-novena-gratitude-practice.

Day 1: I'm thankful for my guy friends. I crave male energy - not the mansplaining kind, and not the kind that mysteriously can't see or hear me, and not the kind that clearly feels more comfortable with my husband - but rather the kind that was plentiful in my misspent tech youth, the kind that can see me and hear me and may even occasionally think I have something to contribute. Boy is that hard to come by as a Swiss housewife... But not impossible. This week I had coffee with FOUR male friends! Like four separate coffees! I'm not even sure how that happened. But it did. And it was cool.

Matthias, formerly the priest at my parish in Zurich and now in deepest Switzerland, celebrated an Ascension Mass accompanied by three (3!) yodeling groups. And then we had a coffee. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment