Monday, August 12, 2019

success

Well, I passed the exams. INSERT EYE ROLL EMOJI HERE. Of course I passed the exams. I always pass the exams. Because I'm good at school - god knows I should be, for the number of years I spent acquiring now-useless degrees. 

Why do I even worry about passing the exams? To be fair, I was also up until midnight every night studying, so it's not like I didn't have to work for it. And maybe my panic was less about being able to pass than about wondering whether I really wanted to put in that work, for a series of courses that may well turn out to be just as irrelevant to my life as those degrees...not least because the preparation I did manage to do before the week started - reading Genesis, Exodus and the Gospels - had triggered something of a faith identity crisis. More on that another time, though.

I got back on Saturday afternoon, on the train with a good number of would-be ravers going to Street Parade, a huge techno street party in Zurich featuring dance club "floats" pulled by semi trucks along a masses-of-humanity parade route that also has fixed music venues. Dan's mom is still here, so she had dinner with the kids and we got to go out and wander about in the mass of often-very-drunk people for a couple of hours. It was very loud. And very crowded. And an excellent antidote to a week of theology classes in the country. 

Compare and contrast:

That mountain in the distance is Pilatus. Legend has it that a dragon lives in a cave way up there... 
...but I think he flew to Zurich for the day.

Next stop, London and Canterbury. Check out this press release I helped my brother write! I'm super excited to see him and also excited to hear the women's Compline Choir sing tomorrow morning [my time].

No comments:

Post a Comment