Today we went to Bologna, which, in comparison to Parma and Modena is big and full of tourist groups and even-more-dramatic Italian architecture. The experience requires some processing and it's very late so instead of tourist photos, here's what I had for dinner:
 |
| Kindly but unfortunately, the hotel translated the menu into German, which means I won't get the Italian food names right. Not pictured: the appetizer ("Grüsse aus der Küche"), which was a couple bites worth of something like a spinach Spanish tortilla. |
 |
| First course, salad with Parma ham, Parmigiano cheese, and Aceto di Balsamico (so, all the local specialties). The smear in the back is my fault and not the kitchen's; I forgot and took a bite before I took the picture. |
 |
| Second course, potato soup with truffles and these amazing toasted bread things. I have no idea how they get the bread so thin - freeze it and put it through the meat slicer?? |
 |
| Third course, lasagne. I had a few bites here too but I like this picture better than the cleaner one I took because check out how many layers of pasta that is! I could have eaten another one of these except... |
 |
| ...for the fourth course, which was guancialini (not sure what this is, Google says maybe cured pig's cheek?) with some sort of amazingly delicious sauce served over polenta. So good. So rich. Absolutely could not have gotten it down if I'd had a second piece of lasagne. |
 |
| Fifth course, tiramisu. Delicious, except for the feeling that I might explode. |
I have successfully not exploded and it's definitely bedtime now - tomorrow we're "on Verdi's trail" on the way home, via another multi-course meal. (!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment