Monday, September 9, 2019

London, take 2

(I wrote this on Friday and failed to post it because I was (1) too cheap to pay for the faster internet at the hotel and (2) too busy having fun in London to sit down and write.)

So this is my weekend alone. I need it badly, but I feel terrible for ditching Daniel and the kids and my mom, not least because Christopher is very, very done with all this enforced fun and just wants to get back to a normal schedule. Which means he's exhausted, high-strung, and prone to screaming fits. Poor kid. And yet...apparently I don't feel bad enough about this to change my schedule? Mommy guilt, yay.

I guess I haven't traveled alone on my Swiss passport very much - It was downright awkward at the airport when everyone was speaking to me in dialect rather than assuming I was a dumb foreigner. I sort of bumbled through it all. And everything went super smoothly on the flight/immigration/baggage/customs/transport front: we landed in London at 5:00 and by 7:00 I was in my lovely Premier Inn Old Street hotel room, on the 11th floor with cool views of the crazy new skyscrapers of London. Cool.

That's Canary Wharf in the distance.

The pointy thing in the background is the Shard, and the arches towards the bottom are Old Street station.

No comments:

Post a Comment