Saturday, September 21, 2019

Emilia Romagna, day 5 + 1

We got in late last night and I went straight in to cuddle my poor abandoned daughter who has been sick all week without me, so no posting. It wasn't exactly a banner day anyway, we were "on the trail of Giuseppe Verdi" and saw the house where Verdi was born, the church where he played piano and organ as a boy, and the estate he later bought and lived in, where one can see: some plants Verdi planted, his treble-clef-shaped pond, all four of his horse-drawn carriages, his bedroom, his partner's bedroom, his signature hat and scarf, a painting of his pet bird AND his actual pet bird, taxidermied and under glass. I guess if you're a groupie all this stuff is interesting, but as an uncultured idiot I would have been ok coming home a few hours earlier.

After worshipping at the shrines of Verdi we had another long Italian meal, which I also could have done without, not because one last meal of Italian food wasn't amazing, but because of the tired old formula (my social skills) + (German) = (not pretty).

As a farewell to Italy here's the house specialty, which I remembered to take a picture of before I started eating it this time, so you can't say I didn't learn anything on this trip!

That's a martini glass containing Campari jell-o, inverted over a piece of ham and a blob of cream cheese. Which is definitely one way to start a meal and end a crazy trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment