Tuesday, September 3, 2019

integration

I learned today that wearing Birkenstocks with socks is very comfy. This seems dangerous.

I've also found during the past few weeks that trying to explain my life to my mom involves using a lot of German words: some of which don't have an English equivalent, some of which might have an English equivalent but I don't know it[1], and some of which certainly have an English equivalent but I can't come up with it to save my life. The absolute worst is having a concept floating around in my head for which I can come up with neither the German nor the English word! Learning a new language is supposed to help your brain stay young but I feel increasingly dotty.

It was a gorgeous day today: sunny and not too hot, perfect for a 2-hour boat ride down Lake Zürich, with lunch on the boat, a bit of wandering around Rapperswil, and a gelato for the train ride back. More Swiss loveliness.
The obligatory back-of-Swiss-boat picture. That's Zurich disappearing into the distance.

I just liked her.

Apparently a scheme to keep the visitors dry using a giant plastic tarp funnel. Some awesome engineering, coming soon to a castle courtyard near you.

[1] I keep tripping over Kloster, which according to dict.cc means monastery/convent/abbey/cloister/priory/friary and I'm never sure which one is correct? Also, why do I seem to be talking about monasteries/convents/abbeys all the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment