Saturday, December 14, 2019

singing

The kids are acting needy and squirrely (full moon? Christmas coming?), we do not have a Christmas tree yet, we have not fetched the box of decorations from the basement, we have not made any Christmas cookies. But Christmas songs I can manage.

Remember O Thou Man (Nathan Clark George) 
I think this was in my most-loved-YouTube-videos a few weeks ago. I do not get tired of it. This is the part I love: "Remember, o thou man, how I came to thee then, and I did what I can." Forget the all-powerful God of the Universe, this guy's just trying to make some progress like the rest of us.

Rise Up, Shepherd, and Follow (Elizabeth Mitchell) 
"Leave your sheep and leave your lambs" ...such a classic call to vocation.

The Huron Carol (Crash Test Dummies) 
Yes I know I was just talking about how I'm dubious of missionaries and also I know that "Gitchi Manitou" is ignorant if not straight-up racist. But the moon of wintertime when all the birds have fled! And the tacit admission that the Christmas story is, first and foremost, a story, for telling and re-telling and adapting and embellishing...this I love.

The Cherry Tree Carol (Sting) 
I've talked about this one before too. Yay for the humanity of Joseph and yay for the imagination behind this story.

On a non-musical note, this is also wonderful. I mean it's horrible and tragic and heartbreaking, but what a moving and appropriate use of a Christian church's public platform.
https://claremontography.wordpress.com/2019/12/12/claremont-methodist-nativity/

No comments:

Post a Comment