Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Joseph and Mary

I'm grumpy today. Part PMS, part pandemic, all grumpy. Guess it's time for that old favorite, the Cherry Tree Carol - because how many Christmas songs feature anger? And in this Joan Baez version Joseph doesn't even redeem himself, for all we know he just stays mad. Which is fair, I think. Sometimes you need time to process.

In Joseph's defense, though: he was on my mind this week because my Monday theology class has been covering the "historical Jesus" - a topic I have complicated feelings about, but in any case academics seem to be in general agreement that the real-life-person-Jesus did go around healing outcasts in the name of a deeply loving, forgiving God he addressed as "Daddy." Doesn't it seem likely, then, that Jesus's real-life-Daddy was an incredibly special and loving man?

On the Mary front, this

And with that, I'm off to listen to some podcasts and ignore my troubles and/or hormones for a while.

How life feels today.


No comments:

Post a Comment