For a couple of reasons, I got to thinking yesterday about the screechy record of Polish Christmas carols that we used to have to listen to every Christmas (still do, if we're at my parents' house) because they remind my dad of the big Polish-family Christmases of his childhood. So I googled "Polish Christmas carols" and found this article, which led me to a few songs that (sure enough) I totally recognize. So the song for yesterday is Wśród Nocnej Ciszy, "in the silence of the night" (spoiler alert: the silence, in this case, doesn't last).
And...now that is stuck in my head, even though I don't know how to pronounce any of it. So onwards! to today, and back to a real Advent song, the classic German "O Heiland, reiss die Himmel auf" in not one but two corona-compliant versions:
O Heiland reiss die Himmel auf, virtual choir of the Solothurner Singknaben
And here's an English translation.
I so know nothing about this stuff! For expert commentary watch my brother!
| "O Father, light from heaven send" |
No comments:
Post a Comment