Sunday, March 17, 2019

my church

I cannot tell you how I got the name for this blog. It came to me, and seemed to fit. I think I'd recently read Susan Cain's Quiet, and the idea of the untapped resources of introverts appealed to me...for obvious reasons. How many thousands of meetings have I attended where the instruction was to "just jump in if you have something to say," and I could not manage to jump in? I always thought this was my personal failure, a total lack of interpersonal skills - and it is - so the notion that there might be a name for this handicap, and accommodations available for it (wait, we could just go around the table in order?) was something of a revelation.

And I wanted to write about my theology classes, so that's where the "church" part came from.

I did, for the record, think twice about effectively calling myself "holy." But in as much as I believe God lives in every human being, we're all holy. Also I figured no one was going to read this anyway, so what the heck.

But this is all to say, the Church of the Holy Introvert seems to be slowly becoming less of a joke. I still haven't found my spiritual home, which isn't to say it's not out there, but if I don't find it soonish, I think I might have to roll up my sleeves and start building.

No comments:

Post a Comment