Wednesday, November 13, 2019

more music

I do get the distinct impression that I'm repeating myself here, so dear reader (hi, Sben), my apologies. But I just did a search of my own blog [1] and as far as I can tell I haven't written this before, so...

There's this gospel (in the American not the European sense!) musician and minister, Bishop Freddy Washington, who has been coming from New Jersey to Switzerland to give workshops for something like 25 years. I haven't been able to make it to one in a while, which is sad, because they are all sorts of awesome, but there's a concert at the beginning of December that I hope I'll be able to see.

The white-person rhythmical abilities of the Swiss (and I'm fully Swiss, in this case) do not actually improve on contact with Actual Musical Talent (holy shit can this man play the piano), and yet his passion is contagious and people end up singing their hearts out even if the result isn't always ready for prime time.

There's a long-time-Swiss-resident Elvis impersonator from Hawaii who is almost always there, too - in fact I think he's organizing the workshop in December.

It's one of those things...fully American and yet if I'd stayed in the US I'm pretty sure I never would have experienced anything like it.

I'm kinda down on Christianity lately, but this gives me hope. Here's a song of his.

https://soundcloud.com/bishopfreddywashington/tracks

Also on the topic of gospel, on the plane to Dulles I watched Amazing Grace. Best flight in a long time.

[1] Blogger, will you please add the eye-roll emoji? I really need it! Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment