Thursday, November 28, 2019

Thanksgiving

I didn't manage any kind of Thanksgiving meal this year, so it was just Thursday pizza night as usual here. I did manage to bake a sort of pumpkin pie. I couldn't be bothered to get out the pie tin, so I used the tart pan; and also the crust wasn't ideal because I used a store-bought dough that was sitting around in the fridge. But the end result was...at least identifiable as a pumpkin-pie-like dessert. I'll probably end up eating most of it. No complaints.

Some of the other things I'm thankful for today, in approximate order of appearance:
  • our apartment (it's messy, but it's home)
  • heat
  • cuddles in the morning
  • two healthy kids
  • a hot shower
  • my hair
  • therapy
  • time to drink a coffee and think deep thoughts after therapy
  • the optometrist, who helped me feel better about having to order bifocals by rejecting many of the frame options with the phrase "maybe you can wear that in 20 years...you're just not that old yet"
  • one of my work colleagues, who dragged me along to lunch at the church-Thursday-lunch-thing. Because it was fleischkäse, which is yummy. (The dictionary says "meatloaf" but fleischkäse is more like what would happen if a hot dog took steroids and shedded its casing.)
  • surviving a table conversation without major embarassment
  • that I found all three things I went to work looking for
  • some quality alone time this afternoon, after I gave up on the prospect of reading for class
  • the fact that my dearest husband made the pizzas when I had to go to class because I was off on the timing due to the pumkin-pie-like dessert
  • and that he took it upon himself to skype my parents with the kids while I was gone
  • and did all the dishes
  • and made me a Birchermüesli for playgroup tomorrow
  • (Remember how I was annoyed at him the other day? There are in fact good reasons why I married him!)
  • that I got to go to class. Even though it gives me high blood pressure. Because even the things that annoy me make me think.
  • that I get to write this blog
  • my hot water bottle
  • and our cozy bed
And most definitely of all for my friends, those who read this blog and those I can go out for a coffee with and those who are far away but near to my heart. I love you all. 💕




No comments:

Post a Comment