Saturday, November 16, 2019

zusammenfassung

Well, tonight's GCL session is...over. 

Did it go well? It went fine. 

Did I do well? Not really. Once again I got tongue-tied and made six grammar errors for every German word that came out of my mouth and also mispronounced most of them. And things started out well with the group singing, but by the end I'd totally lost the plot and kept starting on fully the wrong note.

The ladies were nice about it, because of course they were. But it was still very awkward. I'm not entirely unhappy that I'm going to miss the next session. (It conflicts with Christopher's debut concert as a musician. Recorder. He's been playing for a year and a bit. The song is maybe 30 seconds long. It's going to be fabulous.)

And yet...in theory at least, this is what I want to do with my life. Lead small group sessions, I mean. Tonight we talked about our childhoods, and the stories were deep and engaging and powerful. We don't live in villages where everyone knows everyone else's business any more; where else are we going to encounter each other like this?

I wonder if I can find a way to try this in English, and if *that* fails, I'll finally take the hint and give up and go back to...programming or something.
 
After GCL I bought some dinner (new Vietnamese place in Zürich, bahn mi CHF 11.50, pricey but not as pricey as other places and it wasn't half bad!) and then I went to the big once-yearly Taizé service at the Grossmunster

Here is what I learned: The Grossmunster is so solid that even when all the bells in the city are ringing, it's nearly silent inside the church. Crazy huh?

I sang pretty much straight through from 6:30 to 9, and my throat is a bit sore now, but in a good way.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment