Tuesday, March 24, 2020

day 10

That's more accurately "day 10 on the morning of day 11," in case anyone is worried about my numbering system. Daniel is far better at getting out of bed than I am, so our new routine seems to involve him getting up and taking a shower and getting the kids breakfast, and me slowly making my way out of my cozy nest via my little journal here.

So yesterday he went shopping and then worked, I did laundry and cooked, the kids worked on school stuff, and we managed all three physical activity interludes... It all ticks along fine as long as I release attachment to my personal to-do list and gracefully accept the role of housewife. Which is easier to do now than it has been for the last nine (thirteen? thirty?) years, I guess because planning for the future seems so obviously foolhardy? I listened to the On Being conversation with Rebecca Solnit yesterday, and she talked about hope - which we think of as a future-oriented sentiment - actually being rooted in the past, in the collective memory of having been through transformative events before. And fear, I suppose, is rooted in the future, which because we can't know it will always be an out-of-control and scary place? The mindfulness experts say that happiness is found by living in the present, and they're surely right, but our choices in the present are shaped by our internal narratives of the past - and will shape the future... Philosophical deep thoughts for today, time and being...now back to more practical matters.

If you are interested in slightly-cynical mindfulness I can recommend checking out Tristan Gatto, who signs off his yoga sessions with "Namaste and Beyoncé!" and does his DailyOM videos in front of a shelf displaying inspirational phrases including "You can't do epic shit with basic people." Which has also gotten me thinking...

Meanwhile the bunnies continue to hop (a lot! it's spring!), the construction sites continue to bang, I continue to wish I could find one good sane source for corona news so I could limit my time corona-googling, and once again it's time to get up and take a shower.

Extra special lots of love to anybody bothering to read this, thank you for being out there 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment