Tuesday, March 17, 2020

here in Switzerland

On the one hand, I was super proud of my adopted country today. The press conference of the Federal Council this afternoon was just so stunningly clear and professional and there are women! and the way people switch seamlessly between French and German (and Italian and did I even hear some Romansh?) without even bothering with translator... Just watch this for a minute starting about 6:30...

I guess this stuff never gets old for a monolingual American?

For extra entertainment turn on the subtitles and notice how the algorithm completely chokes as soon as the language changes.

On the other hand, omg the situation at church is dire. These people cannot think their way out of a paper bag, and I don't think it's a lack of intelligence, they seem to have a paralyzing fear of forming independent opinions and speaking plainly. Except when there's some sort of political maneuvering going on and then it's just bald-faced lies. But when there's a crisis, the whole rotten core of the whole thing is exposed and...good decisions are not being made. I don't know how to help. And it seems so culturally ingrained that it makes me worry that even the slick press conference was just a facade and things aren't at all under control here.

But I guess things are never really under control. So many interesting things to think about. Will I find time to write about them? I hope so?

On a practical note, being stuck in the house really makes me notice all the cleaning jobs I've avoided for, um, years...

Love to everyone, more soon I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment